Stonebrooke Homes Association Annual Meeting Minutes
Monday, April 21, 2014 @
Gladstone Community Center – Gashland Room, 6901 N. Holmes
Board of Directors, Stonebrooke Homes Association
Merkel, Carl Morrissey, Jeff Brown, Robin Wright
Sign-in: name tags, agendas and financial info was given to each homeowner
- Refreshments provided by Google
Meeting was called to order at 7:06 PM
Board of Directors Present:
Dean Merkel, Jeff Brown, Carl Morrissey, Robin Wright
Charles Blackwell, Ron Bowen, Jeff Brown, Sam & Margie Cangelosi, Harold & Barbara Condra, Bob & Susanne Drayer, Brett & Ali Ellis, Jeff Gerner, Tim & Angie Giddens, Christopher Granado, Jeff Head, Dorinda Hoke, Justin Hough, Kevin Howell & Tracey Goetsch, Fred & Teresa Kester, Judith Layton, Dean & Karen Merkel, Carl Morrissey, Ryan & Melissa Ohden, John & Sara Pummill, Jason Sharpsteen, Danial Stammann, Jeff & Patty Temaat, Joshua and Isabell Were, Chuck Williams, Gloria Williams, Steve & Robin Wright.
Also present: Linda Adkison and Sarah Gomer
27 (42%) of the 65 homeowners were represented. A quorum was met.
- Minutes of the 2013 annual and 2014 board meetings were available for review and are also available on website. Motion to approve 2013 annual meeting minutes was made by Robin Wright with second by Jason Sharpsteen.
- Review of 2013 Financial Statement
- Balance at start of 2013 was $8801.95
- Net loss of ($421.22)
- Year-end balance: $8340.73
- Budget for 2014 was reviewed and set at the winter Board of Director’s meeting.
- 2014 dues will again be $115. No increase, but will leave the HOA with a negative profit/loss for 2014 of approximately ($650). Due to the current balance, the board agreed to not raise dues.
- 2009-2013 dues were all $115
- 2014 Deffenbaugh trash/recycling service $195 (2013 was $185.40)
- Outstanding dues
- As of 4/20/14: 8 homes with outstanding dues and fees, totaling $2002.00.
- Liens will be filed for all outstanding dues. Lien fees are $100 + dues & interest.
STONEBROOKE IMPROVEMENTS- 2013-2014
- Sidewalk repair by Gladstone public works
- Gas powered hedge trimmer purchased from AAA Lawnmower Sales and Service
- Electrical outlets and boxes in front of fountain were replaced
RECAP OF 2013-2014:
- 2013 HOA Corporation Tax filing – Filed in March, 2014
- Homeowner Judith Layton inquired about taxes filing for HOA. As a corporation we are required to file taxes annually. No earnings or taxes paid, but still required to file.
- Picks up mail from PO Box weekly
- Records all transactions and makes all bank deposits
- Bills paid by auto bank draft include: KC Power & Light, Gladstone water, Deffenbaugh
- Other bills reviewed and approved at the Board of Director’s meeting.
- Directors & Officers Insurance and General HOA Liability
- PO Box (annual paid in April)
- State registration (2 years) of Incorporation (due in July, 2015)
- Sprinkler system blowout in fall
- Sprinkler system backflow check
- Mowing – weekly through October
- Lawn fertilizing and tree spraying service
- Fountain and Landscaping expenses
- Postage, office supplies, misc, etc.
- Gladstone Community Center
- Meeting expenses
- SATURDAY MAY 3rd - our Annual Stonebrooke Clean-up event. Starts @ 8:00 AM. We have 9 common areas to upkeep. We will be pruning, trimming shrubs, hauling and spreading bags of mulch, raking and bagging leaves. WE NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE please. Meet at the Fountain area at 8:00 AM. Bring your gloves and a rake.
- Ryan Lawn and Tree fertilizes lawn and sprays trees
- Ryan lawn will be killing the Bermuda and Zoysia grasses in the fountain common area again this summer. There will be brown areas this summer that they will reseed when the kill is complete.
- Valley Lawn’s bid to mow April through October was accepted
- Additional landscaping at fountain
- Dean applied for a Gladstone beautification grant for a stone edging and additional river rock surrounding the fountain pools. The intent is to create a larger barrier between the grass and the fountains and replace thinning river rock.
- Fountain plumbing will need to be replaced in a couple years. Replacement $2500-$10000, depending on plumbing replacement or conversion to pondless fountains.
- Website – Jeff Brown (Homeowner) maintains website
- www.stonebrookehomes.org The website contains the Stonebrooke Homes Association covenants, bylaws, a map of the neighborhood and minutes from the annual meetings.
- There are also links to the City of Gladstone and other useful information and announcements.
- Sprinkler Backflow testing
- Back-flow testing of sprinkler systems- city requirement. Stonebrooke Annual Backflow Testing
- Date: May 3, 2014, Time: 8 AM – noon, Cost: $30
- To Schedule: email email@example.com or call 816-880-0578 or 816-876-1327
- If the backflow is outside, KC Backflow will perform the week of April 28 – May 2.
- Make sure the water is on to the system prior to April 28.
- Garage Sale-
- Request made for an annual neighborhood garage sale.
- Motion made by Sarah Gomer with second by Gloria Williams to hold a neighborhood garage sale in conjunction with Gladstone city-wide garage sale on June 6th and 7th. Vote taken with majority present in favor.
- Sarah Gomer will place signs. Gladstone permit not required if done on this weekend.
- Cannot have individual sales per by-laws and covenants
- Payment for services. It was agreed by the board to compensate HOA members for approved services performed outside of the traditional services or outside of neighborhood cleanup day. This has not been done in the past 6 years and was started this year. Example of services: fountain cleanout and startup, minor electrical, trimming and spraying. If these items were contracted, the expense would be much higher.
- Gladstone website www.gladstone.mo.us
- Spring Clean-Up & Brush Disposal Events
- Residential trash, large household items and debris will be accepted April 25, 26 & 27, 8:00am to 5:00pm at Happy Rock Park. Shred-It will take items to be shredded.
- Brush & yard waste will be accepted May 2, 3 & 4 (8-5) at the Public Works facility, 4000 NE 76th Street, north of Happy Rock Park. Proof of residency required.- Gladstone residents can take their YARD WASTE to the Public Works for FREE DISPOSAL!
- Friday and Saturday Nights at Linden Square
- Music events, etc starting May 24.
- Issues to address
- Overnight Street Parking
- Several complaints have been made regarding continuous overnight street parking. Per HOA by-laws, overnight street parking is not allowed.
- Reminder was made that the home owners at the corner entrances are responsible for weed control and mowing. HOA is responsible for mulching and maintaining shrubs.
- Homeowner Directory
- Update meeting sign-up sheet; updated directory will be emailed after the meeting.
OTHER NEW BUSINESS:
- Little Free Library: Patty Temaat reported on the “Little Free Library” on the corner of Myrtle and 72nd. She thanked contributors and encouraged users. Books can be taken or donated at any time. Justin Hough asked if it was permissible to donate children’s DVD’s as well. The answer was yes.
- Karen Merkel informed neighbors that the City of Gladstone will be sharing information that she will forward to the neighborhood group.
- Justin Hough asked about a neighborhood watch. He stated that on multiple occasions, as he leaves for work at 4:30 AM, he noticed a suspicious white F150 truck slowly driving through the neighborhood. He notified Gladstone police. A reminder was made to keep your garage doors closed, lock your cars, keep them off the streets overnight, know and watch out for your neighbors.
- Fred Kester asked about intermittent street lights in his cul-de-sac. It was suggested that he call Gladstone public works for repair.
ELECTION OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Nominations: a request was made to all to nominate candidates for four openings
- Jeff Temaat and others nominated the current board members: Jeff Brown, Dean Merkel, Carl Morrissey and Robin Wright
- Karen Merkel nominated Tim Giddens and he declined
- Karen Merkel nominated Justin Hough
- Dean Merkel nominated Tracey Goetsch
- Gloria Williams requested 2 new and 2 old board member on the board, but all candidates must be voted without bias. Ballots were given to all homeowners
- Vote by ballot – Jeff Brown collected and tallied all ballots
- Tally of votes: Carl Morrissey-22, Dean Merkel-20, Tracey Goetsch-19, Justin Hough-14, Jeff Brown-12, Robin Wright-8. New board member Carl, Dean, Tracey and Justin accepted.
GOOGLE INFORMATION: Google representatives provided information on Google Fiber coming to Gladstone. Deadline for sign-up is June 19. Information at: www.Google.com/fiber/startkc or call 866-777-7550.
ADJOURNMENT: Motion made to adjourn meeting by Dean Merkel with second by John Pummill. All in favor.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:05 PM
Minutes taken by: Robin Wright
Reviewed, approved and signed by: _______Carl R. Morrissey___________on _4/24/14______.
Signature on original